Thursday, March 8, 2012

Food is the Enemy

Have I mentioned before that feeding my children is a nightmare? Seriously, it is such a pain. I never thought eating/feeding would be such a challenge. Both Kyler and Damon have been underweight pretty much since the day they were born, but Damon has hit a new level. At his 6 month checkup, he was in the 20th percentile for weight. So we have tripled the amount of food we were feeding him. Well, I took him in because he had nasty fluid draining out of his ear and was relieved to see that he had gained some weight. When I pointed it out to the doctor, she said, "Lets take a look." She entered the weight on the growth chart and said he had gained some weight, but now he is in the 17th percentile. WHAT? Are you serious? What else can I do? I promise I do feed my child. Here is the proof. This is what I feed Damon in one day:

He eats 6 jars of baby food, 2 feedings with cereal, 4 bottles and a few snacks. He is 6 months old, and I feed him every 2 hours. Only so much food can fit in his little tummy. He should be so fat he shouldn't be able to move!

After the most recent appointment, I now have to add more formula to his bottle. Usually you add one scoop of formula per 2oz of water but now he takes 4oz bottles with 3 scoops instead of 2. He won't drink 6oz because it's too much fluid, so we have to thicken up what he can handle. Ridiculous!! If this doesn't work, I am going to ask the doctor to check for hyperthyroidism or a tapeworm!

Anyone who knows Kyler, knows he has his own eating issues. He will eat ANYTHING, that has sugar and pretty much nothing else. Breakfast foods are great for him, especially foods with syrup. We just have to add peanut butter for a little protein. Lunch and dinner are a battle everyday. However, he usually eats pretty well if we bribe him with a treat! He has a lot of fun helping me make anything with beaters. I didn't even have to teach him how to lick them, it was instinctive! Yesterday, I tried to trick him because I used to beaters to make mashed potatoes. I gave him the beater; he licked it, and then tried to spit out the potatoes. I need to started cooking waffles and pancakes with hidden vegetables.

He loves to sit on the counter and 'help'


One day maybe my whole day will not be consumed with feeding/coercing my children. Also hopefully, we can all enjoy dinner together as a family eating the same thing. 3 separate dinners is out of control!

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Elizabeth, I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. I have the opposite problem, I don't know if Gentry ever gets full!! I have to just decide when she is done. Maybe we should trade babies for a while and see if you can thin mine up and maybe I can fatten yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I must admit that I laughed out loud when I saw how much you have to feed Damon! That seriously is ridiculous! I think your children have super metabolisms! Good Luck! If I find any delicious vegetable pancake recipes I will send them your way!

    ReplyDelete