Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Montana Trip Part 3

Glacier National Park 

When my dad asked us what we wanted to do when we came to Montana, we thought it would be really cool to go see Glacier National Park.  We have been told that it was amazing and really pretty.  I have to say it was beautiful.  I'm not so sure that the boys were quite as excited about this trip to the mountains!  They were asking for the swings (the chairlifts)!! They were not the best hikers, and that is putting it nicely!  Damon said that his foot hurt when the hike had just begun.  I stopped to look at his foot and noticed a splinter.  I got it out (it was pretty big, thankfully), but Damon could no longer walk.  He pretty much refused to take another step the entire way there and back!  Kyler did pretty good and walked part of the way there and most of the way back.  Radley wanted to walk by himself, but there was no way that was happening!!  I'm just glad the boys had plenty of people to carry them!


They were done for the day after lunch.  We brought two cars so the boys went back to the house and then my dad, brother Logan, Kenney and I stayed and went on one more hike to Avalanche Lake.  It was a nice and beautiful hike and so much easier without 3 little boys!!  The creek running by the trail was gorgeous!!  
The road up to Logan's Pass is called Going to the Sun Road.  I was amazed they even have a road up that high!  The road doesn't even open until the weekend of July 4th because there is so much snow.  The drive was breathtaking.
The view as we were driving.  It was still a little bit hazy from all the fires, but it was still incredible.
I loved all the waterfalls from the melting snow.  In early summer the falls are much more impressive because there is a lot more melting snow, but I love waterfalls regardless!
This is called The Weeping Wall.  Water just falls out of the rocks.  There is not a typical waterfall; it's like the rock is crying.
As  mentioned before, the hike was not extremely successful with 3 little boys!  We made quite a few stops to throw rocks into the streams and to pick up snow. 
We finally made it to Hidden Lake.  It was really pretty.
The water was so blue!!
There were a lot of chipmunks, squirrels, and other little animals Damon was looking at with the binoculars (they were only about 5 feet away from him)!

Radley LOVES animals.  He was really excited to see the little animals running around.
The little guys were begging for food.  I guess they see way too many people.
The whole crew made it!
Funny story about Kyler:  On the hike back, Kyler was walking with one of my brothers Brenn ahead of everyone else.  They were walking right behind this other family, and Kyler turns to Brenn and says, "She has a big butt." talking about the lady in front of them.  Of course Brenn starts laughing.  Brenn and my brother Logan then run back to us and tell us about it.  I was mortified and so glad I was not standing there with him!  Brenn was then talking to the lady a little later.  She told him that she heard what Kyler had said and told him, "Hopefully by the time I am done with this hike it will be a little bit  smaller."  I could not believe he said that!  Then I asked him if I had a big butt.  He stopped walking, looked at my butt and said, "No."  Phew!!

There were a lot of trees and thick vegetation through the next hike to Avalanche Lake.
The creek almost looked fake it was so pretty.
The lake is at the bottom of a bowl like shape made by all the mountains and fed by waterfalls from melting snow.
My dad said he had never see the lake so low.  I guess most of the snow was gone by mid-August.
Kenney couldn't help but skip a few rocks into the lake.  I am now certain where my boys got their rock throwing obsession.
I was shocked at how clear the water was.  You can see anything in that water!
Me, Logan and my dad by the creek on the way back.
The water was a really deep aqua blue in this spot.  The picture doesn't give it justice, but it was really cool.
Avalanche Creek
Had to take a Selfie!!
I had so much fun with this kid the entire trip!!

No comments:

Post a Comment