Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Mexican Fiesta

For our next international adventure, Radley wanted to go to Mexico!! I could definitely handle Mexico cuisine!! The kids and Dad decided on nachos for dinner with salsa and guacamole. We checked to make sure nachos were not just an Americanized version of Mexican food. Nachos actually come from northern Mexico. First we thought of sopapillas for dessert, but some didn't want those. We went for tres leches cakes instead. Radley got a book about Mexico from the library to help us learn more about the culture and traditions. We read about their holiday festivities and piñatas, the day of the dead, Christmas traditions, and a lot more. I was surprised how interested the kids were in learning new things. It was fun. I also spent the week leading up to this making a piñata. Oh my goodness, it took so much time! It wasn't difficult to make; it just took a lot of time here and there with several layers of paper mache. When I finally got to the part I like the most, decorations to make it pretty, I was DONE. I didn't care what it looked like at that point, especially since the kids were just going to be smashing it to pieces anyway! They were so excited for the piñata! It was able to withstand a lot more hits than I thought it would. After the piñata and dessert, we ended the night watching Coco.

With the current state of the world and all of the unrest with race and differences, this has been a great opportunity to talk to our kids about people who are different than us.  Our kids don't even realize that they are 'white'.  They call themselves peach.  (That is the color they use when they draw pictures of themselves)  Honestly, I don't want that to change!  They don't even know that African Americans are black.  Our kids just call them dark brown because their Mexican friends are brown.  To them skin color is just a physical characteristic that describes the person rather than defines them, and I never want them to think differently.  They looked at me crazy when I suggested that people would ever treat someone badly just because of their skin color.  I think the same thing!  So I hope this little weekly adventure we take will open my kids to the amazing and great diversity in this world that needs to be celebrated rather than alienating.

Love these ninos!!
Eating our 'authentic' Mexican dinner.  We did check and nachos are from Northern Mexico, as well as the salsa and guacamole!

They all wanted their picture taken at dinner





Dad did a great job keeping the pinata moving!

I love her face in this!!
We ate tres leches cake after the piñata.  It was pretty good, but I'm not sure I would use this recipe again.



I love how excited and happy Mackenzie was when she hitting it. 



Bentley rather enjoyed swinging a bat too. 



Radley took his turn pretty seriously. 



Damon thought he could bust it open with his first swing!! 



Kyler thought the same thing. 



Even with the mask off, it took quite a few hits to get it open!!

No comments:

Post a Comment