Sunday, June 29, 2014

Swimming Lessons

I have gotten really nervous the last couple summers when we take our boys swimming because they don't know how to swim. Damon almost drowned twice last year (We literally found him floating face-covered in the water because we looked away for less than a minute), and Kyler is afraid of the water which makes me just as nervous. So this year I decided to sign them up for swimming lessons through Texas Tech. However, the only class they would let Damon in was a Mommy & Me class, so that wasn't going to work. We were able to get Kyler in a class, and he was excited!

The first day was extremely rough on Damon and Radley (making it hard on me too) because they were not allowed to get in the water. It wasn't too bad after that because they got used to it either sitting in the stroller or sitting with me. Kyler did pretty well. I thought he was going to make a lot of progress because he did amazing the first 3 days. The worst day for him was when they strapped a noodle around his body and tried to make him float by himself. That was not going to happen!! He was terrified to let go of his teacher. It kinda went downhill from there. He did great jumping off the side of the pool to his teacher, but he would not jump off the diving board. He had to be pushed into the water. I think it was worth putting him in the lessons, but if nothing else, it at least got him some exposure in the water.

On the last day of class they had a fun day where they turned on the lazy river, the fountains and splash pad for all the kids to play. Luckily, they let Damon and Radley get in the water too. I was so happy that my family was able to be here for that because I needed help, and it was so fun to see them get so excited and have an absolute blast!!

He was never scared to jump to his teacher.

Kyler got a new teacher this day which may have added to his nervousness, but he was not going to float on his own!!

His first attempt at jumping off was really scary for him.  He definitely needed a push!  There are two videos of him jumping at the bottom of the post.

This was the crew everyday.  I had so many people walk by and say, "That's a lot of kids!"

This was my view.  My little stair-steps.

Kyler's teacher, Henry, was really good with the kids, and as you can tell, they loved him!

One day we got to see the Red Raider walk by!

FUN DAY
Radley was having the time of his life at the splash pad!!  He was walking everywhere, putting his face in the water, and laughing out loud.  He really doesn't laugh very much so it was so fun to watch him!

He seriously had a ball!!

This little guy refused to put on his swim shorts so I just let him run around because I knew he would love it, and he did!!

Kyler was lovin' it too!  I think he was really excited to have his brothers play with him in the water.

This little one loves water.  He has no problems getting wet or having water in his face!

Pure Bliss

Had to take a break from running all over!

Papa Dude got in the water to help me take the boys around the lazy river.  This is him and Damon going through the fountains.

Radley and Kyler both liked the tube!

Despite the nervousness on his face, Damon was having a good time!

Zadi was there to take pictures for me.  I think she did a pretty good job!

Damon started having a lot more fun when we began crashing the tubes into one another.  He loved bumping Kyler and Radley!

I love the grip that Damon has on Papa Dude's shirt!

This little guy got some snuggle time with Oma while we made a few more laps in the pool.


Kyler was so scared to jump off the diving board. I thought since it was so easy for him to jump in off the side of the pool he would have no problem, but I think it was a little higher than he expected!


It looked like the second attempt the next day would be better since he walked to the end of the board all by himself, but he chickened out and needed help!

No comments:

Post a Comment